- WHAT TYPES OF INFORMATION DOES EMSPIRE GATHER ABOUT ITS USERS?
- Information that you give us
We receive, store and process information, including Personal Information, that you make available to us when accessing or using the Emspire Website and/or Services. Examples include when you:
- fill in any form on the Emspire Website, such as when you register or update the details of your user account, or when you supply ID and other verification information;
- access or use the Emspire Website, such as to search for or post Accommodations, make or accept bookings, post comments or reviews, or communicate with other users;
- communicate with Emspire; and
- share information with another Member.
- Information we get from your use of our Emspire Website
We also receive, store and process information, possibly including Personal Information, when you access or use our Emspire Website and Services, including but not limited to:
- Mobile Data. When you use certain features of the Emspire Website, in particular our mobile applications we may receive, store and process different types of information about your location, including general information (e.g. IP address, zip code) and more specific information (e.g. GPS-based functionality on mobile devices used to access the Emspire Website or specific features of the Emspire Website). If you access the Emspire Website through a mobile device and you do not want your device to provide us with location-tracking information, you can disable the GPS or other location-tracking functions on your device, provided your device allows you to do this. See your device manufacturer’s instructions for further details.
- Contact Information. You may use your contact information, such as your email address or phone number to create or customize your account or to enable certain account features, for example, for login verification. If you provide us with your email address or phone number, you agree to receive emails to that email address or text messages to that phone number, as the case may be. We may use your contact information to send you information about our Emspire Website and Services, to market to you, and to help prevent spam, fraud, or abuse.
- Log Data. We may also receive, store and process Log Data, which is information that is automatically recorded by our servers whenever you access or use the Emspire Website, regardless of whether you are registered with Emspire or logged in to your Emspire Account, such as your IP Address, the date and time you access or use the Emspire Website, the hardware and software you are using, referring and exit pages and URLs, the number of clicks, device event information, pages viewed and the order of those pages, and the amount of time spent on particular pages.
- Information that you give us
- HOW EMSPIRE USES AND PROCESSES THE INFORMATION THAT YOU PROVIDE OR MAKE AVAILABLE
- We use, store and process information about you for the following general purposes:
- to enable you to access and use the Emspire Website;
- to enable you to communicate with other Members, including but not limited to by sending them messages or other information during the Booking process;
- to operate, protect, improve and optimize the Emspire Website, Emspire’s business, and our users’ experience, such as to perform analytics, conduct research, personalize or otherwise customize your experience, and to provide customer service;
- to help create and maintain a trusted and safer environment on the Emspire Website and Services, such as detection and prevention of actual and potential fraud and other harmful activity, conducting investigations and risk assessments, enforcing our Terms and policies, verifying the address of your listings, verifying any identifications provided by you (including by comparing the photo on that identification to another photo you provide to us), and conducting checks against databases and information sources (such as but not limited to public government databases) for fraud detection and prevention, risk assessment and harm prevention purposes. In this regard, we may do any or all of the foregoing with or without further notifying you;
- to send you service, support and administrative messages, reminders, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and information requested by you;
- to send you marketing, advertising, and promotional messages and other information that may be of interest to you, including information about Emspire, our services, or general promotions for partner campaigns and services. You can unsubscribe or opt-out from receiving these communications in your settings (in the “Account” section) when you login to your Emspire Account;
- to comply with our legal obligations, resolve any disputes that we may have with any of our users, and enforce our agreements with Third Parties.
- How Emspire Uses and Processes User Communications
We may, either directly or through Third-Parties we engage to provide services to us and/or to you, review, scan, or analyze your communications with other users exchanged via the Emspire Website for fraud prevention, risk assessment, regulatory compliance, investigation, product development, research and customer support purposes. For example, as part of our fraud prevention efforts, the Emspire Website may scan and analyze messages and attachments to mask contact information and references to other websites. This helps to prevent fraudulent actors from asking Guests to send them money outside of the Emspire Website, such as by bank transfer or other money transfer methods. We may also scan, review or analyze messages for research and product development purposes to help make search, booking and user communications more efficient and effective, as well as to debug, improve and expand product offerings. We will not review, scan, or analyze your communications for sending Third-Party marketing messages to you. We will also not sell these reviews or analyses of communications to Third Parties. We will also use automated methods to carry out these reviews or analyses where reasonably possible. However, from time to time we may have to manually review some communications. By using the Emspire Website, you consent that Emspire, in its sole discretion, may, either directly or through Third-Parties we engage to provide services to us, review, scan, analyze, and store your communications, whether done manually or through automated means.
- We use, store and process information about you for the following general purposes:
- WHEN EMSPIRE DISCLOSES OR SHARES YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION, AND TO WHOM
We may transfer, store, use and process your information, including any Personal Information, to countries outside of the United States. By using the Emspire Website, you consent to transferring your data to these countries. Please note that laws vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, and so laws and regulations relating to privacy and data disclosure, applicable to the places where your information is transferred to or stored, used or processed in, may be different from the laws and regulations applicable to the place where you are resident.
You can unsubscribe or opt-out from receiving marketing communications in your settings (in the “Account” section) when you login to your Emspire account.
We may also engage Third Parties, who may be located outside of the United States, to provide services to us, including but not limited to technology services and services to help verify your identification, to help match the photo on your ID to other photos of yourself you send to us, to conduct checks against databases such as but not limited to public government databases (where legally allowed), to otherwise assist us with fraud prevention and risk assessment, to assist us with customer service, to serve targeted ads, and to facilitate the payments or reimbursements you request (e.g., Square). We may provide Personal Information about you to these Third Parties, or give them access to this Personal Information, for the limited purpose of allowing them to provide these services.
- providing notice is prohibited by the legal process itself, by court order we receive, or by applicable law; or
- we believe that providing notice would (a) be futile, (b) be ineffective, or (c) would create a risk of injury or bodily harm to an individual or group, or (d) create or increase a risk of fraud upon Emspire’s property, its Members, the Emspire Website, Application, or Services (collectively, “Risk Scenarios”).
In instances where Emspire complies with legal requests for user data without notice to the user for the reasons described above, Emspire will use commercially reasonable efforts to notify that user about the request after the fact if we determine in good faith that we are no longer legally prohibited from doing so and that no Risk Scenarios apply. We may also publish, disclose and use Aggregated Information and non-personal information for industry and market analysis, demographic profiling, marketing and advertising, and other business purposes.
- STATE PRIVACY LAWS
As applicable, Emspire Payments will not share information it collects about you with Affiliates or Third Parties, except as required or permitted by your state’s law.
- BUSINESS TRANSFERS BY EMSPIRE
- HOW TO ACCESS, CHANGE OR DELETE YOUR INFORMATION, OR CANCEL YOUR EMSPIRE ACCOUNT
You may review, update, correct or delete the Personal Information in your Emspire Account. If you would like to correct your information or cancel your Emspire Account entirely, you can do so by logging in to your Emspire Account. Please also note that any reviews, forum postings and similar materials posted by you may continue to be publicly available on the Emspire Website in association with your first name, even after your Emspire Account is cancelled.
- SECURING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We use commercially reasonable administrative, technical, and physical security measures to help protect your Personal Information against unauthorized access, destruction or alteration. However, no method of transmission over the Internet, and no method of storing electronic information, can be 100% secure. So, we cannot guarantee the security of your transmissions to us and of your Personal Information that we store and you agree that we shall not be liable to you or to any third party for the unauthorized disclosure of your information.
- YOUR PRIVACY WHEN YOU ACCESS THIRD-PARTY WEBSITES AND RESOURCES
- GOT FEEDBACK?
- FOR USERS RESIDING IN THE EU AND JAPAN ONLY: YOUR RIGHTS TO REVIEW AND UPDATE INFORMATION
If you reside in the EU or Japan, you may request in writing copies of your Personal Information held by us. We will provide you with a copy of the Personal Information held by us as soon as practicable and in any event not more than 40 days after receiving a valid request in writing. There may be a charge to access your personal data. We may also request proof of identification to verify your access request.
- FOR USERS RESIDING IN THE EU: YOUR RIGHT TO SEE AND CHALLENGE INFORMATION PROVIDED TO US BY THIRD PARTIES
You are entitled to see and challenge any information that Third Parties may provide to us as part of our fraud detection, prevention and risk assessment efforts in circumstances where all of the following factors apply: (i) if we use Third Parties to carry out automated checks or risk assessments, and (ii) if we make a decision which has legal consequences for you or which significantly affects you, and (iii) if such decision is based solely on such automated checks or risk assessments.
What are cookies?
Cookies are simple text files that are stored on your computer or mobile device by a website’s server. Each cookie is unique to your web browser. It will contain some anonymous information such as a unique identifier, website’s domain name, and some digits and numbers.
What types of cookies do we use?
Necessary cookies allow us to offer you the best possible experience when accessing and navigating through our website and using its features. For example, these cookies let us recognize that you have created an account and have logged into that account to access the content.
Functionality cookies let us operate the site in accordance with the choices you make. For example, we will recognize your username and remember how you customized the site during future visits.
These cookies enable us and third-party services to collect aggregated data for statistical purposes on how our visitors use the website. These cookies do not contain personal information such as names and email addresses and are used to help us improve your user experience of the website.
How to delete cookies?
If you want to restrict or block the cookies that are set by our website, you can do so through your browser setting. Alternatively, you can visit www.internetcookies.org, which contains comprehensive information on how to do this on a wide variety of browsers and devices. You will find general information about cookies and details on how to delete cookies from your device.